Wednesday, February 09, 2011

THENGAI PAAL SADHAM

This rice resembles a vegetable briyani with all the spices. But it tastes better than the briyani varieties. It resembles Milaku pongal with its texture. This is a full meal. But a side dish as a chicken gravy would be suitable.



தேங்காய்ப்பால் சாதம்

Ingredients:

Jeeraka samba kuruNai- 1 cup
Sliced onion-2
Finely chopped tomato-2
Green gram- a handful
Mint leaves- half cup
Chopped coriander- half cup
Bengal gram- 2 tbsp
Shredded coconut- half cup
Salt to taste
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Oil- 2 tbsp

Grind the following ingredients coarsely:

Green chillies-2, shredded ginger- 1 tsp, small garlic flakes-6

Powder the following ingredients nicely:

Cardamom-1, cinnamon- 1 small piece, clove-1, fennel seeds- half sp

Procedure:

Wash the broken rice and the dals well and then soak them in clean water for half an hour.
Extract 1 cup of thick milk from the coconut.
Heat a vessel and pour the ghee and the oil.
Add the onion and fry them to golden brown.
Add the ground paste as well as the powder.
Fry them for a few seconds.
Add the tomato and the greens.
Fry them until the tomatoes are mashed and the oil floats on surface.
Pour 5 cups of water, the coconut milk and add enough salt.
Add the rice and the dals.
Cook them on medium fire.
When the rice is cooked well and the water in it is almost evaporated, put off the fire.
Pour some ghee on it.
The delicious thengai pal sadham is ready now!
Serve it with any chicken curry!

23 comments:

  1. Its different and mostly like a rice kichadi mano akka.looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Different recipe, it looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. Mano,

    Very happy to have found your blog. I have been a big fan of your recipes and used to follow your recipes on forum hub(hope u remember me) I have tried many of your Recipes and some have become regulars as well as favorites. This recipe is very nice.I think, I have read it before but never tried it. But when do we add the coconut milk? Pls could you mention that.

    Thanks,
    Anu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very nice,new kind of recipe to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for the lovely appreciation Treat and Trick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anu!

    warm welcome to my blog!

    Thank you very much for the nice comments as well as the warm appreciation. It is a pleasant feeling to know that my recipes are in your kitchen.
    I regret for the mistake I have done. I corrected the mistake and again I thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes Mahi! This is somewhat a new and tasty recipe. And thanks a lot for the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to know that you are also making this often in your kitchen Shama! Thanks for the warm comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very tempting,different and delicious rice..

    ReplyDelete
  10. சூப்பராயிருக்கு....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Mrs.Mano,

    I tried this Rice for lunch today and it tasted Awesome. I did not have Jeeraga samba hence made it with just Pachai arisi. But it was very tasty. I bet it will taste even better when we use jeeraga samba. As per your suggestion I served with an Egg Curry( I don't eat chicken)
    But the rice was good even without any curry.

    Btw I couldn't find your email id in the blog cos I wanted to send you some pictures of your wonderful recipes that I have cooked.

    Thanks again,
    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for the nice comment Priya!

    ReplyDelete
  13. பாராட்டிற்கு அன்பு நன்றி மேனகா!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much for the lovely comment Kanchana!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Anu!

    I felt very happy to know that the Thengaipal sadham turned out well for you! And thanks a lot for the nice appreciation!
    My email address:
    smano26@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the warm appreciation Raji!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Warm welcome to my blog Pushpa!
    And thank you very much for the lovely comment!!

    ReplyDelete

SWEET POTATO ADAI!!!

 Usually, we make adai varieties with rice, dals and vegetables like tapioca, bottle gourd and yam. This is a very different adai recipe. Th...